Welcome to Melbourne!
Orientation is your kick-start to University life. Whether you are starting a Bachelor degree, Masters, PhD or Diploma, we have a range of activities to help you learn about the University, access resources, connect with services and make new friends. For more information about how to accept your offer and enrol in your course, visit our Get Started at Melbourne guides.
Unimelb 101: Orientation for undergraduates
Unimelb 101 is your gateway to Melbourne, getting you connected and putting you on the right track when you begin your degree. From January to March, Unimelb 101 will help you discover your new University community online and on campus. By accessing information, activities and events, you’ll give yourself a head start.
Learn how to be a successful university student, plan a degree that suits your interests, and connect with new places, faces and spaces. We can’t wait to meet you! Unimelb 101 – connect early, connect often.
- Get online tips to succeed – find out from students who’ve “been there, done that!”
- Take a virtual tour – explore places and spaces essential to your learning success
- Attend a Student Connect appointment – meet our Student Peer Advisers or Student Development staff who’ll talk with you about your plans, goals and skills for successfully getting started at uni
- Start your university learning – attend a session on what to do in lectures, how to write essays and how to avoid plagiarising
- Help yourself day or night – utilise our websites, online tools and resources to help you choose your subjects and understand how to plan your course
- Balance your life – information sessions about housing, money, managing disabilities, mental health and staying safe
- Download these handy apps – discover what University apps are available for your mobile devices.
Orientation for graduate students
Your graduate school will run sessions and activities to help you get started. A schedule of graduate orientation events will be available in December 2015.
When is Orientation?
Orientation activities run online and on campus from January to March. The full program will be released closer to the date. For more details, check the schedule in January after you’ve received your offer.
Semester 1, 2016
Monday 22 February – Friday 26 February 2016
This is the week you’ve been waiting for! Now you’ve enrolled, settled into campus life (online or in person) and connected with students and staff, this is where the fun begins. Meet other students and take part in exciting activities on campus. It's also a great opportunity to find out about university services, academic sessions and UMSU’s clubs and societies.
Have a question?
ask.unimelb.edu.au: Your first stop for answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
Students.unimelb: Visit the current students’ website for more information on enrolment, administration and services.
For further enquiries you can contact the 13 MELB Contact Centre by phone, live chat or email.
Connect with your new classmates
If you are keen to connect with others, check out and like the First Year at Melbourne Facebook page, the official page for new students at the University of Melbourne. Also check the official University of Melbourne Facebook page, and visit the Social Media Directory to find groups and communities who share an interest with you.
Don't forget to download the my.unimelb mobile app to access campus maps, your timetable, notices, result, events and library services.